Sunday, July 11, 2010

Updates and what´s to come + links


I´ve now completed reading five books on the list I´m following for this blog. So far I´ve managed to read:

1. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
2. Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
3. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
4. Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre
5. The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoevsky

And I just started reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson. That will be interesting. I´ve seen the movie, but I think I will have a different experience reading the book. I hope I will be able to understand it better. I think that´s why I love the remake of The Wolfman so much. That movie made be become more interested in Benicio Del Toro. I´ve noticed that I look at his acting in a different way now. It´s interesting to see how he manages to build up his characters. I never thought about that before. I´m always fascinated by people who can make you see things from another perspective.

Part of this blog was to watch ten movies as well, and I´ve managed to get hold of The Universal Horror Collection containing:

1. Dracula (1931) Director; Tod Browning Starring Bela Lugosi as Dracula
2. Frankenstein (1931) Director; James Whale Starring Boris Karloff as the monster
created by Dr Frankenstein (Colin Clive)
3. The Mummy (1932) Director; Karl Freund Starring Boris Karloff as The Mummy
4. Werewolf of London (1935) Director; Stuart Walker Starring Henry Hull as the werewolf
5. Bride of Frankenstein (1935) Director; James Whale Starring Boris Karloff as the monster and Colin Clive as Dr Frankenstein
6. The Wolfman (1941) Director; George Waggner Starring Lon Chaney Jr as The Wolfman aka Lawrence Talbot
7. Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman (1943) Director; Roy William Neill Starring Bela Lugosi as the Frankenstein-monster and Lon Chaney Jr as The Wolfman
8. Phantom of the Opera (1943) Director; Arthur Lubin Starring Claude Rains as The Phantom
9. House of Frankenstein (1944) Director; Erle C Kenton Starring Boris Karloff as Dr Gustav Niemann and Lon Chaney Jr as The Wolfman
10. Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) Director; Jack Arnold Starring Richard Carlson as Dr David Reed

If you want to know more about which books and movies I´m going to watch, go to these websites:

http://www.beniciodeltoro.com/biography.htm

http://www.beniciodeltoro.ca/ArticlesArchivesBlackBookDec2000.htm

Some of the movies that are listed amoung Benicio´s favourites have been kind of hard to find so I will try and read more books than what I first intended. It´s going to be books that are connected somehow with Benicio or his work, but also books I´ve been inspired to read because of what I´ve found in a bookstore. I used to be good at locating books a long time ago, but I kind of lost that when I didn´t keep it up. Now when I´m into it again, I´ve found some really good books that seems very interesting. That´s what I love the most about my newfound interest in Benicio Del Toro. It feels like I´m not exactly a changed person because of him, but I´ve been more aware of things and interests that´s been a part of me, but hidden or forgotten. You might say he has brought those things to the surface.

http://www.flicksnews.net/2010/03/benicio-del-toro-interview.html

I love this article because it contains my new favourite saying; the ability to see that everyone is different, that you can be smart in different ways. I used to think that I wasn´t smart because I couldn´t think like this or that and I didn´t realise that there isn´t a particular way that you have to be smart in. That´s what fascinated me with this article. Another great interview with Benicio can you find here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4410385919400037051#docid=-3073392062454022045

Ok, this was a little different blogentry, next time I´m going to continue discussing the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment