Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson



I´ve now finished reading the book and I got to say that I´m surprised over how amazing the book was. Or to be more exact, how I reacted to the book. It took me by surprise how funny and hilarius I found it to be. With rental-cars packed with drugs, Hunter S. Thompson aka Raoul Duke and his attorney is searching for the american dream in Las Vegas in the sixties. I´m soo glad that I decided to start this project, otherwise I wouldn´t have had the pleasure of this book. When I saw the movie which is based on this book, I didn´t really like it and I couldn´t understand it. I tried, but it was still hard for me to comprehend it. Now when I´ve read the book the movie seems different to me now. I think that Terry Gilliam, Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro made the book justice. I can´t see it being any different. I´ve got a whole new understanding for what they were trying to do, and that was the reason why I wanted to do this project from the start. I wanted to be more enlighted and to learn things I never would have taken the time to spend time on otherwise.

For me the way Mr Thompson writes is quite unique. I both understand it and don´t get it, but I find it fascinating and I kept on reading and laughing outload because it was so funny and brilliantly written. I finished it in like two days and that surprised me. I thought it would take me longer, but the whole experience was soo fantastic and I wanted to continue, to find out how it all ended.

Eversince I started reading Hemingway, Dostoevsky and Sartre I´m amazed how easy it is to keep reading their works and still have questionmarks all over my face. I´m amazed over how I try to figure it out and I go back and ponder over some stuff I just recently wanted to know about a special part of the books. I like that, and it gives me great pleasure when I finally get it. I try to turn it around and see things from different perspectives, especially the women in the books. I always try to understand where they are coming from, but instead of pushing it, I let it sink into my brain, and all of the sudden I understand. I will go into more details later hopefully. As it is now I feel my brain can´t think of something more at the moment. It´s just too hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment