Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo by Oscar Zeta Acosta



Within a week I will have completed both Hunter S. Thompson´s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as well as Oscar Zeta Acosta´s The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo. When I started this project of mine, I never would have imagined me being so drawn into the worlds of these two books that I´ve become. I thought at first that I should give it a go, and I was prepared for a struggle, that I would feel a need to endure them. Instead I have found myself reading them very quickly because I can´t put them down. I´m already through half the book by Mr Acosta. The way he writes has struck a cord with me. I can feel his lonliness at times and when he describes some of the events in his childhood I can´t help but feeling sad, and at the same time impressed by him. How he handled the rough and tough situations he went through. I feel like I can feel his pain.
I can identify and relate to many things that he writes about. Well, except for the drugs and alcohol, I´ve never been much for that sort of thing, but I don´t have to. The book is more than just drugs and alcohol. The storytelling is what is the core here. It´s so amazing and well-written, and I especially like the sections where Mr Acosta talks about his childhood and upbringing.


No comments:

Post a Comment