Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Some more thoughts about a brown buffalo

Some funny things came to my mind while reading The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo by Oscar Zeta Acosta. Benicio Del Toro who is the reason why I started this blog in the first place, plays him in the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. In this book Oscar is refering to a lot of things that got me thinking of Benicio. Like that one time when he is starting to take drugs and he is not so familiar with the effects of the drugs. He starts seeing hair growing uncontrolable from his body and he has a Wolfman moment. I think that is very fitting and funny, since Benicio have played both Oscar and The Wolfman. In another chapter he mentions authors like Ernest Hemingway, Jean-Paul Sartre, Fyodor Dostoyevski and Kierkegaard. Existential philosophers at its best. He also mentions Ernesto Che Guevara. Another Benicio character. I just waited for him to start mentioning Benicio Del Toro although I knew that Benicio wasn´t even born yet.

LOOKING FOR A BOOK

In one chapter of the book Oscar talks about his college experience and a certain section from the book goes like this;

"We all gasped at his brilliant logic. We were astounded by his ability to force us to think, to reason and to question the findings of other men."

"He grounded me in the fundamentals of the short story by forcing me to read as much of the old fag Somerset Maugham as I could possibly tolerate."

The reason why I called this section of my blogentry LOOKING FOR A BOOK is because the one book that I´m looking for among my things right now is a book by Somerset Maugham. I´ve been inspired to search and locate all kinds of different new interesting books in the bookstores, and that author caught my eye and I just new that I wanted to explore his world. I didn´t and still don´t know what kind of books he´s been writing, but I like taking chances.

I like the ending that wraps it all up. His search for an identity and the acceptance of what he sees and his perception of himself. The whole understanding on who you are as a person, something that I still can have some issues with. But I like the braveness in this book. The candid answers and what he is willing to sacrifice and what he doesn´t give up on. Oscar´s storytelling for me is like an addiction. Who needs drugs when you can read this fantastic book. You save yourself some money and you keep your mind and head clear. The gallery of various characters that sweeps through this book are also very interesting. No matter if it´s In Cold Blood or City of Night or this book or any other books that I´ve read through this journey, the characters are always interesting and you get sucked in and want to know more about them. Like in movies or tv-series, you really want to be able to connect with the character on some level. If it isn´t believable you don´t care about them. They don´t have to be realistic, but you have to believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment