Saturday, October 16, 2010

Legs by William Kennedy

So I´ve just finished reading the book Legs by William Kennedy and I started working on this blog on the 7th of May this year and today is the 16th of October. I gave myself a year to complete my mission on, but due to lack of finding the right movies and the fact that the nine out of ten books that I got hold of are already finished, I´ve got to change my plans a bit. What I´m going to do is that I´m adding books that are some kind related to the other books or I´ve been inspired to read by doing this project. The next book that I´ve started to read is Jack Kerouac´s On the road. I picked that book because it seemed to be the obvious choice when it comes to start reading Jack Kerouac. Benicio Del Toro mentioned him in one interview he did at Charlie Rose while promoting the movies about Ernesto Che Guevara. Speaking of the man himself, after watching the movies I became interested to learn more about Che, so I´m going to include the following books written by him:

The Motorcycle Diaries
Guerrilla Warfare
Reminiscences of the Cuban Revolutionary War
The Bolivian Diary

I´m also going to add the following books to the project;

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
The Revolt of the Cockroach People by Oscar Zeta Acosta
The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson

I still don´t know which books to choose of the remaining three. I will probably come up with something later on.

When it comes to Legs I feel like I both liked it and disliked it. The way it was written both compelled me and distracted me. It was a funny mixture of something you love to hate and can´t get enough of. You just have to find something in it that makes sense to yourself, othervise, what´s the point? I felt like I was on a rollercoaster and didn´t know if I would return for one more ride or just simply stop. What has fascinated me throughout this whole journey with almost all the books I´ve read, I´ve never started a book feeling the same as when I finished it. That´s what I found so interesting about it, that I´ve discovered that nothing is what it seems from the beginning to end. Everything changes and it floats silently and still with slow motions.

When I started on this journey, the purpose was to find out for myself more about someone else. What I learned and discovered in the process was myself. I find myself being somewhere completely different from where I was in May. I´m more hungry to learn and know how things works. Our place in this world and what it is that makes people discover things about themselves and others. I feel like I´ve discovered something deep inside of me, something that I wasn´t even aware of. From doubt to discovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment