Saturday, June 26, 2010

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote


The first time I heard of the name Truman Capote and the book In Cold Blood was when the movie Capote came out with Philip Seymour Hoffman. I thought the movie was excellent and it was a well-deserved Oscar that Philip Seymour Hoffman got for his amazing performance as Truman Capote. The movie got me interested in his book In Cold Blood, but it wasn´t until I started this blog that I finally read the book. I loved how it was built up. It was like reading a fictional story allthough you know that it´s a true story. In a way that is hard to describe I felt so drawn to the writing. I didn´t need to stop and ponder over each sentence, but the more I read, the more I wanted to know where the writing would take me. Would I be able to find a certain pattern within the text or just let it come to me in no specific way? This must sound very confusing, but I kind of embraced this idéa of reading. It was exciting and I just let the story come to me without thinking about it too much.
I didn´t feel the need to analyse every single page, but just embrace the book in a bigger spectrum.

I learned and experienced a non-fictional story as a fictional story by the way Truman Capote mastered it with his great story-telling. I love it when I can discover something new. A new look and way of reading a book. That has always fascinated me. Usually it´s more about the feeling and the style of the writing that gets me interested in a book. That´s why I like to read books by the same author, but I also find it exciting to enter new worlds that I never would have thought of if it hadn´t been for Benicio and this blog.

I liked how Truman outlined the plot. We got to know all the people, the main as well as the ones that only showed up once or twice in the book. The humanity in the book was one of the main things that I loved. To be able to tell a story without passing judgement, and just let the whole story be told as it was experienced by all the people involved. There´s a reason why I won´t reveal the plot of this book, I want you to become interested in the book and form your own opinion while reading it. If I tell you too much, it won´t be much left to read and discover on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment