Sunday, May 9, 2010

Continuation of introduction


As I sat at this nice restaurant with people passing by outside the big windows, I realised that my introduction was not nearly as finished as I thought it was. I came to realise that I´ve got more to say and share with you who reads this. Because even if I´m inspired to dive in and learn more about the worlds that Benicio has visited, one of my goals is to have people follow me around the world while I´m entering the lands of different people, fictional and nonfictional, different cultures and ways of living.

Something that I thought about today was how Benicio has managed to touch my life, not only once or twice, but three times. First at the age of fifteen, later on at twenty-one and most recently at the age of thirty-six. The influence that he has had on my life, my outlook on life and the kind of person I strive to be each and every single day. He has taught me to emphasize and pay extra attention to attributes that I already aimed for in order to become a better human being.

When you study at the university, you are forced to read a large amount of books, which you swiftly runs through. The afterthoughts don´t linger any longer periods of time. You read, comprehend a bit and analyse a bit here and a bit there. During my time at the university, I started to read Joseph Conrad´s Heart of Darkness, but since I had to rush through it, I didn´t have much time to contemplate the words. Now I can take my time and let the words ease into my mind and I can ponder over their meaning.

As I sat at the restaurant , looking around, watching the waitresses scurry about. Taking orders, seating guests to empty tables, my thoughts went to the place where my hand was moving. I took a spoonful of ice-cream and continued to read. As I read, I began to understand the richness of the book. Something that hadn´t made sense to me the first time around, now made perfect sense. I started to understand both sides of something that I had missed, I began to search for something deeper. I wanted to understand the underlying message and not just the surface.

1 comment:

  1. I think what you wrote was very beautiful Jackie. It felt really poetic.

    The best way when it comes to reading is to have time to think about what exactly you are reading about. Otherwise you rush and you may miss something. That´s how I feel too.

    ReplyDelete